Located in Lawrence, Kansas, the University of Kansas is a top-ranked public research university with a friendly and welcoming community. KU is committed to developing future leaders by giving you a rigorous, research-heavy academic curriculum and career support.
At KU, you can choose from over 190 fields of study. With a focus on research-based academics, KU’s business, engineering and petroleum engineering programs are recognized as some of the best in America.
- 90% of KU graduates are employed or in graduate school within six months of graduation.
- Partnerships with Ford, Google, Cerner, Deloitte, Amazon, and more
- 338,000 alumni worldwide, including 27 Rhodes Scholars and 4 NASA astronauts
- Famous alumni include B.J. Yang (CEO, Hyundai Energy Resources Co.), Juan Manuel Santos (President of Colombia, 2016 Nobel Peace Prize Laureate), Linda Cook (former CEO, Shell Gas & Power) and Brian McClendon (former VP at Google Earth and at Uber).
Jayhawks Get Involved
- 30+ sports clubs, 25+ intramural sports leagues and 16 Division I sports teams
- 5 National Debate Championships and National Basketball titles
- 600+ student organizations such as the Arabic Club and the Biomedical Engineering Society
- State-of-the-art fitness center includes workout equipment, pools, a rock-climbing wall and an indoor golf simulator
Lawrence: America’s Heartland
Set along the Kansas River, Lawrence is a progressive city full of eclectic shops, green spaces, and top-rated restaurants. A welcoming community of artists, farmers, entrepreneurs and business owners, this lively college town is ranked the #5 Small Town for Business and Careers by Forbes (2017).
- Visit scenic Massachusetts Street downtown.
- Walk, hike or run along the Baker Wetlands, Lawrence River Trail or Clinton State Park
- Explore the Spencer Art Museum and dozens of galleries.
Weather & Climate
Lawrence enjoys weather typical of middle America, featuring hot and humid summers and cold winters with some snowfall.
Nearby Kansas City
Located about 35 miles from campus, Kansas City is two cities in one—Kansas City, Kansas, and Kansas City, Missouri. Although they are separate metros, these twin cities are noted for jazz music, arts, theater, culture and food.
- Best Trips Destination—National Geographic, 2019
- Catch a performance at the Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts or the Starlight Theatre.
- Watch the Kansas City Ballet, Kansas City Symphony, the Kansas City Jazz Orchestra or the Kansas City Chorale.
- Visit the American Jazz Museum and the World War I Museum.
- Enjoy famous barbecue at Gates & Son Bar-B-Q, Joe’s Kansas City Bar-B-Q and more.
African & African-American studies
Arabic & Islamic studies
American cultural studies
Gender & sexuality
Local & global
Applied behavioral science
Adults with disabilities
Basic research & conceptual foundations
Community health & development
Youth development & juvenile justice
Air pollution meteorology
News media forecasting
Molecular biosciences [ec]
Language, rhetoric & writing
Geographical information & analysis
Earth & space science licensure
Global & international studies
Latin America & the Caribbean
The Middle East
Russia, East Europe & Central Asia
History of art
Latin American & Caribbean studies
Liberal arts & sciences
Literature, language & writing [ec]
Pre-law (no degrees offered)
Pre-medical professions (no degrees offered)
Russian, East European & Eurasian studies
Speech-language-hearing: sciences & disorders
Film & media studies
Theatre, culture & society
Theatre and film
Visual arts education
East Asian languages & cultures
East Asian Studies (Chinese, Japanese or
French & Italian
Slavic languages & literature
South Slavic studies
Public administration [ec]
Illustration and animation
Visual communication design
Management & leadership
Supply chain management
Curriculum & teaching
English secondary (6-12)
Foreign languages (PK-12)
History & government secondary (6-12)
Mathematics middle (5-8)
Science middle (5-8)
Unified early childhood (birth-grade 3)
Teaching English as a second language
Health, sport & exercise sciences
Health & physical education teacher licensure (K–12)
UKanTeach preparation program Obtained by completing a College of Liberal Arts & Sciences degree with UKanTeach certification
Secondary (6-12) biology
Secondary (6-12) chemistry
Secondary (6-12) earth & space science
Secondary (6-12) mathematics
Secondary (6-12) physics
Civil & environmental engineering
Digital electronic systems
Electromechanical control systems
Information technology [ec]
Clinical laboratory science
Health information management
News & information
Strings & harp
Theatre & voice
Wind & percussion